Today I met a man who had a long electric blue goatee & brilliant green nailpolish. How very snazzy! Somehow he reminded me ever so slightly of a hairy human version captain planet. It was exciting at the time.
Anyway, moving right along...
I have feeling inspired by spring (wheee for daffodil patches!). So I whipped up this batch of spring-shine lemon sherbet cupcakes! Seriously addictive tangy lemon cupcakes with a lemon sherbet frosting topped with white violets.
The Lemon Sherbet Cupcakes
Lemon zest cupcakes
- 1 1/3 cups (200g) self raising flour
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Finely grated zest of 4 lemons
Lemon Sherbet frosting
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (300g) icing sugar mixture
- 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of sherbet (wizz fizz works)
- yellow food colouring
- white violets to decorate.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line your muffin tray with patty cake liners.
2. Beat together the butter, vanilla extract & sugar with an electric beater (I used my new kitchen aid. love it). Beat till its light & creamy. Mix through the lemon zest & taste test till you reach the desired zestyness. I like mine with lots of tang!
3. Add the eggs to the mixture one at a time, beating well after each egg. Then gently fold the milk & flour in. Divide the mixture evenly among the patty cake liners.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, or till golden brown. It should spring back when touched. Set aside to cool on a rack while you prepare your sherbet icing.
5. To make icing, beat the butter with your electric beater till its light and creamy. Add the icing sugar a little at a time, beating constantly. Add the sherbet bit by bit. Add half the lemon juice. Beat until well combined. Add the remaining lemon juice a little at a time.
6. Prettify!! Pipe the icing onto the cooled cupcakes & decorate with white violets (or another edible flower).
7. Present your lemon tang treats to your loved ones & enjoy the thrilled oo's and aa's!
Boys, I think you should make these as a special treat for your mum. She will be beside herself with pride!!! Another idea I had was to drop a batch of these cupcakes off at a strangers doorstep as a mystery "be blessed!" treat. heehee. Isnt that a fun idea?
Please let me know if you bake my recipe for yourself, I do so love hearing your stories :) Also, if you have any baking requests, cupcake suggestions or challenges, write me a comment & I might just have a go!
Dear Miss Pretty xx