Anyone for some Passionfruit cream sponge cake? My great grandma used to make these for afternoon teas. I havent had one in years. It tastes so much better than it looks!
**Passionfruit cream sponge**
* 50g butter, softened
* 4 eggs at room temperature
* 3/4 cup caster sugar
* 3/4 cup cornflour
* 2 tsp self-raising flour
* 1 ½ tsp baking powder
* 1 cup thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
* 1/4 cup fresh passionfruit pulp
* 2 cups pure icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200C. (180 C for fan forced ovens)
- Grease two 20cm round sponge tins with softened butter.
- Separate eggs. Beat whites with an electric mixer, using the whisk attachment, until stiff peaks form.
- Add sugar gradually, beating on medium speed.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating on low speed.
- Sift cornflour, self-raising flour and baking powder into a bowl. Sift & sift again.
- Fold into egg mixture in two batches, using a spatula. Be careful to not overmix. You want the sponge mixture to be light & fluffy!
- Divide mixture between the sponge tins.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes until well risen and light golden. Do not open the door during the baking time.
- To test if its ready, press the sponge cake lightly with your finger & it should spring back!
- Remove from oven and cool on cake rack for a few minutes.
- When cool, fill with whipped cream. Be patient you dont want that cream to melt.
- Make icing by mixing passionfruit pulp with icing sugar. (I made mine too runny, you want it to drip down the sides... If you have the same problem add some extra icing sugar).
- Ice cake with a hot, clean knife.
Dear Miss Pretty xx